Monday, April 18, 2011

A Poem Written by a Precious Friend


The Someone Elses

While I rolled over in my bed,
Tucked into the warmth of my covers,
Not wanting to get up,

Someone else froze to death.

While I ate my breakfast,
Well-rounded with eggs and toast and peaches,

Someone else starved to death.

While I walked to class with my friends,
Under a blue sky,
Feeling loved,

Someone else jumped off a building in the rain.

While I dozed through my Geology lecture
On volcanoes and magma,

Someone else experienced their destructive power.

While I ate lunch,
Again surrounded by friends,
Discussing our futures,

Someone elses future became their present and past.

And while I sit here,
Writing on recycled notebook paper
With a cheap, disposable pen,
Sitting beneath electric lights
In a chair/desk combo I would consider uncomfortable,

Someone else writes more meaningful words in the dirt.

By Andrea Rivard

No comments:

Post a Comment